Classic combinations exist in food because they work. Tomato and basil, toast and Nutella and of course, Chicken and rice.
The dish below was born of tiredness and availability of ingredients. I had seen something similar on Pinterest and must have filed it in the back of my mind. One evening, on one of the last nights of my restrictive eating week, we got home late. I was tired, needed to handle story time, and honestly sick of chicken stir fry.
Having the left over rice from another night and staring at my chicken strips, that image I had seen popped into my head and I started to construct the recipe from there. It baked away while I took care of evening routines and by the time my little price was asleep, my husband and I had a warm nutritious supper.
Rice and Chicken bake
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tbs crispy onions the kind you add to salads
- 2 tbs dried lentils
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp corriander
- 1 sachet chicken stock
- 400 g raw chicken pieces of choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- water to cover
- Mix the rice with the onion, lentils, spices and stock.
- Place it in an oven proof dish.
- Nestle the chicken pieces into the rice and season
- Cover with water and place in the oven on 180°C
- Cook for about 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked and the top is slightly browned
- Serve with your choice of veg