You would think, with all the quietness here, that I had nothing to blog. You would think it but you would be wrong. Technology isn’t always your friend and it hasn’t been mine for a bit. From the blog being inaccessible to my dishwasher breaking, my car being temperamental to my phone getting stuck, I am just about ready to give up on technology all together.
Except then I wouldn’t be able to win a week in the Cape Winelands for 2 and I wouldn’t be able to give you the opportunity to do the same. That would make me sad. Sadder than some uncooperative machinery.
What am I talking about? Well a few weeks back I was invited to the launch of the new project undertaken by Cape Winelands District Municipality, together with their Local Tourism Associations. 13 Apps designed to give you all the information you need when visiting any of the 13 regions in the district.
We were welcomed with a glass of bubbly to the breathtaking chapel on Bosje’s. The chapel represents the wings of a dove and surprises you as you come up the unassuming road. The media were very late due to our bus losing a tire on the way to fetching us so everyone inside was more than ready to go.
Besides the speeches by important people we were greeted with song sung by our MC and a little comedy skit before being introduced to the apps themselves. The creator of the apps went through the process with us, explained how he worked with all the role players to make sure the apps catered for the needs of the districts as well as those of us who will use the apps.
Each app is the responsibility of the LTA of the district to maintain and improve, through the developer and as expected with new apps, there are definitely some kinks that need to be worked out. The check in function on the Wolsley app, for instance, wasn’t working when we tried. With more use and feedback I think these apps can be little treasures on your phone, giving you all the info you need of the area you are in. From shops to places to stay, specials to events and even blog posts.
After all the talking it was time to eat and we were treated to a brunch buffet by Bosje’s Kobuis while the media mingled with invited guests, politicians and the LTAs to get an idea of the thoughts and dreams behind the apps, where they will want them to go in the future. This was also a time to show off the different wines of the regions and I found an awesome wine to stock up on for next summer.
Ok so now you know there are apps, you also now all about my lovely morning learning about the apps but I still haven’t told you about the competition and what you can win. Take a look at the proposed itinerary to get an idea and then plan a little road trip for the day or a the weekend to some of the gems close by. Download the app or apps that suit your explorations. Sign up and you will automatically be entered into the draw.
You could also just sit at home and do the same, but what’s the fun in that?
Terms and Conditions
1. Your week in the Cape Winelands is valid for 2 people from 1 June 2017 to 31 August 2017 and needs to be from the Sunday to the Saturday as stipulated in the prize package.
2. This prize can’t be exchanged for cash
3. Every sponsor takes full responsibility to treat the guests to the best of their ability
4. The competition closes on Friday, 19 May 2017 at 16:00.
5.The winner will be announced on Wednesday, 24 May 2017, if the winner cannot use the prize, he/she will forfeit it automatically
6. This prize is not transferable to another person.
7. The organizers will finalize the itinerary as soon as the winner books his/her week and may change due to subject of availability.
8. All additional expenditure and travel costs are for the winner’s own account.
9. Participants may take part in this competition as many times as they wish.
10. Organizers, family and employees thereof, are not allowed to take part.
11. Any photographs taken during the weekend by the sponsor, will become the property of the sponsor and may be used in future advertising.